As most of our longtime customers know, we used to brew a rich batch of beneficial compost tea every week at both our retail stores. Compost tea can nourish your garden and increase the nutrient uptake of plants, act as a disease supressor, release beneficial microorganisms into the soil, and also acts as a great fertilizer and foliar spray. We no longer brew the tea ourselves, but we would love to share our tried and true recipe with you!
Down To Earth Compost Tea Recipe
(Using a compost tea brewer)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 20 gallons of dechlorinated water (Allow water in the tank to sit for 8 hours to off-gas the chlorine, or turn on the pump for two hours to bubble off the chlorine).
- 2 cups Worm Castings (or a rich worm compost)
- 4 TBSP Soluble Kelp (Maxicrop Soluble Powder)
- 4 TBSP Liquid Fish (Maxicrop Liquid Fish or Fish On!)
- 2 TBSP unsulphured Molasses
- 4 tsp. Humic Acid Powder (DTE Humaplex)
After allowing your water to fully dechlorinate and after adding all the ingredients listed above to the water, brew your tea mixture for at least 24 hours at 70-80˚F (79˚ is optimal) or longer until a rootbeer-like foam appears on the surface. During the last two hours of brewing, add 4 TBSP of DTE Fullplex Gold, and additionally any soluble organic fertilizer if so desired.
Yields: 20 gallons of ready-to-use compost tea
Apply to garden plants, container plants, indoor plants… anything that could use a boost of nutrients and love!