Canning season is already upon us! You’ve got all the canning basics, the fruit is ripening in the garden, and road side farmstands are brimming with sun-ripened treasures waiting to be eaten and preserved.
We carry a vast array of canning jars and lids. We have been carrying a reusable option for several years now, called Tattler. These lids are great for the home canner practicing self-reliance. Instead of tossing your used canning lids after eating up your food, the Tattler lids are simply washed, and reused! It comes with two parts: the plastic top (BPA-free), and the rubber seal. The rubber seals can be used over and over again until they begin to crack or degrade.
When used properly, they do just as good a job as disposable canning lids, with less waste! They are used slightly differently, so follow instructions carefully to make sure all your jars seal properly.
How to use:
– Immerse your gaskets and lids in hot water before placing on the jar.
– Make sure the rim of the jar is wiped clean of any food debris.
– Place lid and gasket on jar, and using a normal metal canning ring, tighten as you would a normal canning lid, and then loosen about a 1/4″ to allow for steam to vent during processing.
– Right after the jars are removed out of the canner, you’ll want to then tighten the canning ring over the lid. (this step is important, as it creates a vacuum seal as it cools). Be sure to protect your hands from the hot jars and lids while you do this.
– After the jars have cooled overnight, unscrew the ring and check the seal by holding the lid with your fingertips and gently lifting the jar.
Available in wide mouth, and regular mouth sizes!